|What Makes a Good Learning Toy?
The greatest benefits of a good learning toy are the joy & self-esteem that children experience
when they play with it. One carefully selected learning toy can do so much for
a child; the right toy can literally help a child discover a love of learning!
A well chosen learning toy has certain aspects that make it more valuable to a
- A toy should be challenging while allowing for success.
- The toy can be used in several different ways.
- A child can power the toy using his or her own ideas & imagination.
- The toy can grow with the child through more than one
- The toy has a lot of developmental play value.
- The toy encourages open-ended play (there is no one "right" answer or
way to use the toy…it provides room for a child's own creative thinking
to come into play).
- The toy engages a child's interest beyond a few minutes – he or she will
continue playing with it for a period of time.
- The toy is fun, safe, durable, & attractive!
- The toy encourages parents & children to play & learn together.
Humans are blessed with natural curiosity & the desire to explore the
world around them. Nurturing, loving environments, communication, lots of
room to run & the availability of good learning toys are essential for that natural
process of discovery to thrive — & this results in healthy, happy children!
|Kids don't need a lot of toys...
just a few of the right toys!